Restaurant Review: Sigree, Adyar, Chennai

I have been an ardent fan of Sigree since the time a very dear friend of mine introduced me to this place. Back then, it was only at Nungambakkam. And, going till Nungambakkam all the way from OMR was always a painstaking task irrespective of a car or cab. Thus, my joy knew no bounds when I saw the board- SIGREE- on Adyar, months ago when this restaurant was in its final shape. Since its launch, I have been to this restaurant almost 5-6 times. Never have I been disappointed.

On Friday afternoon,  as my husband and I were returning home after some work, we decided to stop over at Sigree for lunch. Though I wanted to try out a new place, my husband, who ain't that experimental with food, wanted to have normal "khana".

As I got out of my car to handover the car keys for a valet parking, the parking person asked if I had reservation. I was a little surprised because this sort of a question usually came through in Barbeque Nation or such places. So we decided to head to the restaurant irrespective of booking or no booking. We had to wait for a good 10-15 mins before the manager came and offered us one of the reserved tables. We were happy by the gesture :-)

Coming to food, we went for the buffet like always.  For Starters, the following items were on offer- Garlic Chicken Tikka, Tandoor Chicken Tikka, Fish Fingers, Mutton kababs, Aloo tikki, Roasted Potatoes, Paneer Tikka. The starters were hot and tasty. While the Chicken Tikkas were juicy, succulent, well marinated in spices; the Fish Finger was coated well in the batter and the Fish overall was soft and easy to cut. I liked the Paneer tikka too as I have never had such soft Paneer ever in Chennai. The other starters were good too.

For Maincourse, there was a lot in the offing. The crowd was too much to see all the items in the menu. And, since there was no Dal Makhni, I didn't even venture towards the veg side. The Non veg section had Mutton Rogan Josh, Chicken Biryani, Methi Murg, another fish item whose name I cannot recall. Of the items, I tasted the Mutton n Roti along with a bit of Biryani' rice. Mutton was soft n well cooked. The curry tasted just like any other curry. Biryani wasn't as good as how I have had earlier.

Desserts in Sigree have never really impressed me. However, their Gulab Jamuns are always on my list. Other than that they had a chocolate cake sort of and a blueberry mousse. I did not like either of them. While the mousse was a bit bitter in taste, the cake was too dry.

Overall, we paid 1265. This includes 50rs of unlimited Pepsi. However, what I did not like was the fact that despite the government order, they charged service charge separately and that too a separate one for Pepsi! :-/

Meanwhile, the staff which had earlier politwly declined us seating due to all tables being reserved, came up to me and asked for feedback. He even apologised saying he could not do much about it as Weekends is very busy these days plus people reserve tables for a time and arrive several minutes late.

Sigree despite all the odds is still a value for money with extremely courteous staff, pleasant seating and well location! :)

Have you been to Sigree yet? How has your experience been?

Comments

  1. Awesome post "Restaurant Review: Sigree, Adyar, Chennai". Thanks for sharing the wonderful information with us. Get in touch with me by visiting my sites vegetarian restaurant adyar | south indian veg restaurant in adyar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The city moves on

The Window

A RANDOM THOUGHT